These are lower in height as compared to High tunnels. Walk-in-tunnels provide high yield compared to Low tunnels. The tunnel is suitable for growing tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet pepper and hot pepper.
Things to remember before start:
• Prior to start off-season vegetable cultivation in tunnels, the investor must have practical knowledge about farming.
• Soil and water quality of the farming site should be tested before start.
• Self-pollinated plants should be grown.
• Recommended seed should be used.
• Farmer must have complied and critically analyzed market information to earn high profits.
• To introduce intensive cultivation per unit area.
• To get maximum output/unit area.
• To get production as per market demand.
• To minimize the environmental Hazards.
• To increase the life span and production ability of the plants.
• To promote vertical cultivation to enhance quality and quantity of the produce and to lessen the area availability issues.
• To get 3-5 times more production as compared to that taken in an open field.
• To fetch higher price of produce because of its early availability in the market.
• To save the input resources like water, fertilizer and Time & space.
• To manage the crops in controlled and comparatively easy conditions.
• To grow the crops in shorter time periods/growing seasons.
Suggestions for Successful production:
• Always keep the direction of the tunnel from East to West for better temperature gains inside the tunnel.
• Always use good quality seed.
• For cucumber, use Parthinocarpic variety seed.
• For tomato, use indeterminate variety seed.
• Use fertile soil and maintain its fertility during throughout the season.
• Always grow more profitable vegetables as per market survey.
• Protect seed of cucumber from rodents and insects till its germination.
• Irrigate in morning and evening or as per expert’s advice according to the growing/atmospheric conditions inside your tunnel farm.
• All plants are tied up with rope.
• Prune the plants particularly three nodes at initial stage.
• Use minimum quantity of farm yard manure for cucumber as compared to sweet pepper and tomato crops.
• Use drip irrigation for economic irrigation and fertilizer application.
• To avoid germination of weed, use black mulch into the growing bed.
• Apply proper pesticide at proper time to control the insects or fungi.
• Smoking is strictly prohibited inside Tunnel as it may cause a quick spread viral diseases throughout the tunnel.
Temperature requirements for Best Growth of Vegetables:
Growing season for Off-season production of selected vegetables: